UF will hold its first Majors Fair today to offer students guidance in choosing a major.

UF Student Government and the Career Resource Center will host the event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today on the Reitz Union Colonnade.

More than 65 representatives from nearly every UF college will be available to answer questions about majors, minors and electives within their departments.

Marcus Dixon, the director of the Career Development Cabinet for Student Government, said the fair is geared toward freshmen and sophomores, but juniors should also attend if they are considering changing their major.

He said representatives at the fair would help students figure out which courses are critical to take before deciding on a particular career path.

"It's really important to take classes beneficial to the career you want to pursue and to do this early on in college in case you end up hating those classes," he said.

Choosing a suitable major is important for academic success at UF, Dixon said, and the earlier students are able to do this, the better.

The College of Dentistry, Levin College of Law, College of Medicine and College of Veterinary Medicine will not be represented at the fair, he said.

UF students who plan to attend should bring their Gator 1 Cards. For more information, visit the Student Government offices on the third floor of the Reitz Union.