300 attend 10th annual Homeless Services Fair

Although Tony James of Gainesville has been out on the streets for about a week, he said it lifts his spirit to know that others are trying to help.

James was one of about 300 people who gathered at the Bo Diddley Community Plaza downtown Friday for the 10th annual Homeless Services Fair.

About two dozen organizations offered free services including haircuts, bike repairs, identification card services and even five-minute chair massages. Donated blankets and clothes were stacked on tables that lined the plaza stage.

Fire of God Ministries and the Alachua County Coalition for the Homeless and Hungry partnered to serve a hot meal to all attendees.

After getting his hair cut, James pulled off his baseball cap to reveal his bare scalp.

"I didn't have a lot of hair to cut off anyway," he said with a laugh.

Others at the plaza sat around picnic tables sharing meals or sprawled on the grass, picking at banjos and playing harmonicas.

"The main thing about any organization here is to help the people, the citizens of Alachua County," said Marie Small of Choices, a health services provider for the uninsured.

One volunteer, Tony Morales, of Tampa, repaired bicycles for anyone who brought one over. Morales said it wasn't long ago that he was homeless too.

"I've been on the other side needing to get my bike fixed," he said.

Another man, Danny Gryggs, said he rides his bike 23 miles from Hawthorne to volunteer every week with Arupa's Home Van, an organization that provides food for people downtown.

"You do not go hungry in this town," Gryggs said.

Norris Martin balanced a plate full of goulash, salad and a pre-packaged cherry pie as he sat down on a bench at the plaza.

"I ain't complaining," Martin said, as he covered his goulash in ranch dressing.

Along with the food provided Friday, many were able to pick up Regional Transit System bus vouchers or find information about affordable housing and health care.

The Department of Motor Vehicles' mobile unit provided identification cards, which are often necessary to sign up for services, said Barbara Satterthwaite, DMV examiner specialist.

"You have to have an ID to get your foot in the door for anything," Satterthwaite said.

James said that's all most people want - an opportunity. But it's not easy to come by.

"A lot of us just can't get that one break," he said. "People need to take off their judgment and realize we're all in this together."