TALLAHASSEE - That depleted defensive line wasn't such a big problem after all.

With an MCL injury to freshman Matt Patchan, sophomore Brandon Antwine leaving the game with a knee injury and nose guard Lawrence Marsh (MCL sprain) hobbled, Florida State had good reason to hope its 190.2 rushing yards per game could pummel the Gators.

The Seminoles' ground attack, second in the Atlantic Coast Conference, could control the clock, and, maybe, have a shot against a team that has defeated its opponents by an average of 41 points the past seven games.

Not exactly.

UF's defense showed once again it is a transformed unit from a year ago, as it stuffed the Seminoles' ground game for just 102 yards in the Gators' 45-15 romp Saturday afternoon at Doak S. Campbell Stadium.

While FSU freshman running back Jermaine Thomas did get into the end zone on a 4-yard skip with 7:43 left in the third quarter, it was the Seminoles' first rushing touchdown in the last 117 minutes of play in this rivalry series.

"We have a pretty good amount of depth on the D-line," sophomore defensive lineman Justin Trattou said. "We didn't skip a beat."

However you want to put it, the UF defense was on top of its game Saturday. The Seminoles had 527 yards on the ground in their last three wins, all conference games.

"FSU, the last several weeks, have been punching numbers up pretty good," UF coach Urban Meyer said.

Those numbers were halted by a group of players who have had their pride kick in. Last season, several players called their defense "embarrassing."

Now, it's the opponents who are embarrassed. The Gators have only allowed one 100-yard rusher this season, and that was on Oct. 4 at Arkansas as Michael Smith ran for 133 yards. UF still won 38-7.

"Guys went down, and other guys are just ready," junior middle linebacker Brandon Spikes said. "That's what it's going to take. You got to be accountable to the defense."

It was a collaborative effort, too, as the Gators (11-1, 7-1 Southeastern Conference) had nine different linemen play. Even when Florida State did score, it wasn't entirely the defense's fault.

"That kickoff team was putting our defense in real bad field position," Meyer said. "To hold them to a field goal, that's considered a plus on defense."

Good luck to Alabama running backs Glen Coffee and Mark Ingram. They're up next.

"Our whole off-season was based on getting back to Atlanta," Spikes said.