Job opportunities have brought several residents to Gainesville, but unique offerings like the world's second-largest butterfly collection are what made them stay.

About 15 locals discussed what they like about Gainesville and what keeps them here at a book forum Sunday afternoon at the Alachua County Headquarters Library.

Led by City Commissioner Jeanna Mastrodicasa, the discussion was inspired by the book, "Who's Your City?" by Richard Florida.

The book argues that one of the most important decisions people will make is where they will live.

Mastrodicasa said a discussion of what makes people like Gainesville is important to how the city markets itself in the future.

"We're going to have to take a step back and look at what we're doing in the local economy," she said.

In the book, Florida focuses on the importance of creative economies, which he wrote are both innovative and professional.

Attendees agreed that UF, Gainesville's growing health care facilities, the presence of small businesses and a steady arts and cultural vibe all point to the city's creativity.

"The big premise is that Gainesville is a creative economy," Mastrodicasa said.

Mastrodicasa plans to schedule more community book forums throughout November with one forum focused on UF students.