Theoretically, democracy involves compromise. Without it, democracy would shrivel under the weight of narrow-minded decisions cast by a single party super-majority.

Rather than having both sides of a primarily two-party system represented somewhat fairly, the former democracy would be left with an elected body that only sort of worked for the people.

On the federal level - namely, in Congress - this kind of development would infuriate the entire nation. Given this, we've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that this ailment is not afflicting our national government. The bad news is that we cannot say the same for UF's Student Senate.

The Senate is dominated by the Gator Party. In the recent Student Government elections, though, the Orange and Blue Party was able to grab a handful of Senate seats from the annual juggernaut.

Since this small victory for Orange and Blue, the two parties have found themselves at odds with each other.

Senate President Jordan Johnson, a Gator Party member, has sponsored legislation that would change the number of votes required for a minority party to suggest nominations for open Senate and committee seats or to call special meetings.

Basically, these bills would curb the ability of the Orange and Blue Party to advance any of its interests.

Maybe it's just us, but this doesn't seem to be in keeping with America's tradition of compromise. It seems like UF has been distracted by hollow talks of transparency and fairness in favor of the more traditional single-party control over SG.