Police say suspects may be linked to two robberies

Alachua County detectives believe two gunpoint robberies on Friday may have been committed by the same people.

In both cases, two black men wearing ski masks and armed with handguns kicked down doors and left residents bound with plastic ties, said Steve Maynard, a spokesman for the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.

The first robbery occurred between 9:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m. at the Budget Inn at 4401 S.W. 13th St., according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

According to the release, two men held residents of a hotel room at gunpoint and tied one of them up using plastic ties.

After forcing them to take their clothes off and hand them over, the men fled the location with the residents' wallets and cell phones, the release stated.

The second robbery happened around 10:15 p.m. at the Gardens Apartments at 75 S.W. 75th St., the release stated.

According to the release, the victims were also tied up using plastic ties, and the men fled the scene after taking money and cell phones.

Maynard said police believe the invasions could be drug-related.

"Nine out of 10 times this type of robbery happens to those involved in the drug game," he said.

He added that it may be too early to say drugs were definitely involved in both of the cases.