Sunday, June 02, 2024

A 22-year-old man sitting in front of the Fine Arts A building with a blue, plastic lightsaber toy was taken to the emergency room by University Police at about noon Monday.

It was not known if the man was a UF student.

UPD Lt. Pam Bonner said police responded to a call about a person acting suspiciously and found the man sitting on a concrete bench "staring into space" with a lightsaber toy on the bench next to him.

While being questioned, the man picked up the lightsaber and extended the collapsible tube, but not in a threatening way, Bonner said.

After talking with him and determining that his story wasn't "adding up," UPD officers took him to the emergency room at Shands at UF, Bonner said.

Under the Baker Act, a Florida statute, officers are allowed to take a person to a medical or mental health facility against his or her will if officers deem the person a danger to themselves or others, said Capt. Jeff Holcomb, UPD spokesman.

Bonner said officers were told by a friend of the man's that he had self-inflicted injuries and may have been suicidal.

Bonner said officers noticed several burn marks on one of his arms.

As of Monday afternoon, the man had not been charged with a crime or a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, Bonner said.