SFC offers center for new businesses

At a time when the economy is preventing people from getting jobs, Santa Fe College is inviting entrepreneurs to start their businesses at a new downtown center.

SFC's Center for Innovative and Economic Development, 530 W. University Ave., allows entrepreneurs to rent office space and equipment to get new companies off the ground.

"It is a great opportunity for UF students who are about to graduate and want to start a business," said Mary Short, a representative of the center.

The center is taking applications from people with written plans for new businesses.

Applicants can attend an open house at the building Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

A committee will review applications Dec. 3 and determine which ones are best suited to the center's mission, Short said.

The center offers two types of membership. Associate businesses would pay $90 a month, and resident businesses, which rent private workspace, would pay $285, SFC spokeswoman Julie Garrett said.

Both types of businesses will have access to the center's computers, conference rooms, break rooms, LCD projectors and other equipment.

A receptionist will be on call to take phone messages, hold mail and greet clients, Garrett said.

The center will also offer monthly workshops and seminars with experts in business law, accounting, human resources and other relevant areas.

Businesses that pay to be residents will have a workspace at the center with a private phone line, computer, locking file drawers and after-hours access, Short said.

She said the center is looking for four residents and between six and eight associates to start.

She said the center would like the businesses to be ready to move in Jan. 5, when SFC comes back from winter break.

Short estimated that each business would stay with the center for about eight months.

"We expect them to be on their feet by then," she said.