Welcome to the offense, Deonte Thompson.

At least the part of the offense that includes catching balls.

Thompson finally showed why he has been starting as the third wideout all year on Saturday as he had a team-high 66 receiving yards on three catches, including a 46-yard touchdown pass.

After redshirting last year, many expected Thompson to have more than the 147 yards and one touchdown he had going into Saturday's game with the positive reports he got in the off-season.

Whatever it was - a lack of chemistry between him and quarterback Tim Tebow or just other receivers being more open - he is now showing glimpses of his reported 4.4-second 40-yard dash.

"It felt like my old self again," Thompson said. "I'm starting to get my old swag back."

That "swag" is something that was severely lacking last year. And it's hard to do anything when you're sitting on the bench wondering if you're going to get into the game.

All last season, Thompson clung to his redshirt wondering if injuries to other receivers would force him into the game.

For a five-star receiver and Scout.com's No. 3-ranked wideout, that's not what he - or much of his South Florida following - expected.

"He comes from an area in Belle Glade where everybody expects you to be an All-American your first year, and he had to deal with that," UF coach Urban Meyer said. "It wasn't easy for him. He's a great kid, and now he's handling himself like a professional."

As Meyer sometimes puts it, not everybody can be a Percy Harvin or Tim Tebow, especially in his freshman year. After a year of practice, Thompson is starting to learn how to accelerate at the college level. That 4.4 speed was shown on his touchdown catch Saturday, too.

"I'm so comfortable right now," Thompson said. "Usually they say the play in the huddle, and I just come to the side and am thinking. But now they say the play, I'm just reading the coverages and the play before it even happens."

Where it really happens, apparently, is on the practice field. The practice habits Thompson has developed have caused Meyer to call Thompson a "helluva player."

"He's doing a heck of a job," Meyer said. "He's got the "I should be getting 20-40 catches," out of his mind."

When you get the hype Thompson did coming out of Glades Central High while being a community icon, it takes a couple of conversations with Meyer and wide receivers coach Billy Gonzales to get those '20-40 catches' thoughts out of your mind.

"When you come to a program like this, it's more than just you and me," Thompson said. "(There have been) people that already been here that have been working already. You've got to get on your ground and start working and try and get in there, too."

Even if Percy Harvin stays for his senior year, Thompson will probably be the No. 2 wide receiver next season.

"I know my future here," Thompson said. "I see my future here already."

With the way Saturday went, the future may already be here.