Arrested man kicks in police–car window

A Gainesville resident being placed under arrest Sunday morning kicked out the side rear window of the police car where he was being held, police reported.

After a 1974 Buick did not respond to emergency lights at about 2:20 a.m., Gainesville Police Sgt. Dana Strama followed the car onto Southwest Sixth Place, which is a dead end, a GPD report stated. Police identified the driver as Cortez Foster, 21.

According to the report, Foster did not comply when police were searching him and would not get in the back of the police car when asked.

After he was in the car, Foster kicked out the right rear window causing less than $1,000 in damage to the car, the report stated.

GPD spokeswoman Summer Hallett said the windows in the department's police cars don't have more reinforcements than ordinary cars.

According to the report, Foster was driving with a license that has been suspended since August 2006. He was arrested and charged with three misdemeanors and two felonies, including operation of a motor vehicle with a suspended license and resisting an officer without violence.