If the player with the best statistics wins the Heisman Trophy, it won't be Tim Tebow.

However, if the player who has made the biggest impact on his team wins the award, then you may see Tebow become only the second player ever to win the Heisman in back-to-back years.

His impact has been the biggest amongst the other Heisman candidates, at least according to his teammates and coaches.

"He's not just the leader on the offense," cornerback Joe Haden said. "He's the leader on the defense, too. And the leader (for the) kickoff team. You see us in the huddle, you're going to see Tebow coming in. It's not even in the stat sheet, it's just him being around, his love for the game."

Tebow has 40 touchdowns on the year, well below last season's mark of 55, a season in which he didn't have the Southeastern Conference Championship Game to boost his numbers. His 40 scores are significantly behind the 53 touchdowns Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford has compiled, and just short of Texas signal-caller Colt McCoy's 42.

However, when Tebow went in front of cameras on Sept. 27 after the 31-30 loss to Mississippi and proclaimed nobody would work harder for the rest of the season, he sent a message. Not only will he outwork everyone else, but he'll also make sure his teammates do.

That's a big reason why the Gators will play the Sooners for the national championship on Jan. 8.

"I've never had (a player) like this," UF coach Urban Meyer said, "and I've been around this game a long time. But Tim has got - there's a special something inside of him, and I'm not talking about throwing. I'm not talking about running. I'm talking about the ability to make the level of play of everyone else around him better."

As a former Heisman winner, Tebow can vote for himself. He admitted early last week it would be "cocky" if he did that, but that's something his teammates are hoping he does. Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy said they would vote for Tebow.

Tebow said he has narrowed his choices between Bradford, McCoy and himself.

When asked if he had ruled out voting for himself, Tebow smiled and said "no." So maybe the support of his teammates is getting through after all.

"(A Heisman winner) has to set a standard for their team," Tebow said. "They have to probably be a great leader and probably do something that's really recognizable as far as something that they did that year as far as either leadership, athletic ability, winning games, clutch. Something to set themselves apart."

And if the voters are looking for a signature Heisman moment, it may have happened in the fourth quarter Saturday when Tebow drove his team down the field twice for touchdowns. The Gators started the final 15-minute period down 20-17.

"Our team without Tebow - we really don't have too much going for us," Haden said. "I'm not going to be a voter, but he's definitely my top."

Even without the ridiculous statistics, Tebow has improved his game-management system and has learned to make better decisions.

"Everybody I've seen this year, I think Tim's the best player in college football," offensive coordinator Dan Mullen said. "He's much better this year than last year."

Voting for the Heisman isn't the only important decision Tebow will have to make soon. As much as Tebow said he loves Gainesville, he admitted money he could receive from being a first-round pick in the NFL Draft would help him with his dreams of running charities.

"I don't want to leave here, but if I get blessed and have an opportunity to do a lot of things financially with that, I could do so many great things as far as organizations and community work, stuff I've always dreamed of doing with that money," Tebow said.

Meyer said he would talk with Tebow after the season about whether it would be better for him to return for his senior season or go to the NFL.

Tebow said, as of now, he was leaning toward returning to UF.

"Win or lose, I still want to play another year here," Tebow said. "But it also would be great and really fun to go to the next level and see how that goes, too."