UF crew club rows 554 miles for fundraiser

Members of UF's crew club wrapped a two-day mission Wednesday to row 554 miles without leaving the Reitz Union Colonnade.

The sports club launched its Rowing Across Florida fundraiser Tuesday with the hopes of collecting enough money to build a $30,000 boathouse.

The club, which consists of men's and women's teams, concluded its 554-mile row - the longest straight line across Florida - Wednesday on three ergometers, or stationary rowing machines.

Two years ago, Tacachale, the company that owns the land where the current boathouse is located, informed the team that its building was not up to code and would have to be renovated or rebuilt.

"They threatened to kick us off the property and sent us eviction notices and everything," said Raf Crowley, head coach of the women's crew team.

The team, which was on UF's short list to become a varsity sport before women's lacrosse was eventually added, came to an agreement with the company and began fundraising for the new boathouse.

The 87 members of the team are halfway to their goal and are raising more money to hire a contractor.

"A boathouse is a place to store our equipment, build tradition and a good meeting point for our team," said Matthew Kuhl, president of the UF crew club team.

The team usually raises money by sending letters to parents and others associated with the program, but the team thought it would be a good idea to set up shop on campus, Kuhl said.

The women's team enjoyed its most successful fall ever, taking home two gold medals at the Head of the Hooch competition in Chattanooga, Tenn., in November. Crowley said he hopes the team will be able to raise enough money to make the program even better and win the state competition.

"We've done a lot in recent years with very little," he said. "We need help, and we need to get this done."