After winning 15 games in a row, losing becomes an afterthought.

Then, after finally drop a game, it's a little bit surprising, as was the case for the UF women's basketball team when it lost to Auburn on Sunday.

For the first time since Nov. 14, the Gators are in a position they have rarely faced this season - rebounding from a loss.

"Once you win 15 in a row, your team starts getting more and more confident," junior forward Sharielle Smith said. "So it was kind of like a shocking thing."

That says a lot about where No. 19 UF (15-2, 1-1 Southeastern Conference) stands right now.

"We have really high expectations," Smith said. "That's the reason why we won 15 straight, because our expectation is to win, and we don't settle for losing, even if to say, 'Oh, we're playing a ranked team so we might not win.' No, we have the expectation of winning."

So going on the road to undefeated and then-No. 9 Auburn without starting guard Jennifer Mossor for the first time this season was no excuse.

After the Gators fell, UF coach Amanda Butler said the loss could sharpen the team's focus even more.

"That's what happened when we lost to Florida Gulf Coast," Smith said. "After that, we were on a mission to show everybody that that's not who we are, that's not who we're going to be this year."

Many of the players, including junior guard Steffi Sorensen, think that losing a game can have a positive impact and might give them a sense of urgency in the upcoming games.

"You can't really expect going on a 15-game winning streak," Sorensen said. "Even though we did lose, I think we learned a lot from that. We can gain a lot of experience from that loss and take it to these next games we've got coming up."

The Gators also took note that, as poorly as they played against the Tigers, they were still within striking distance for most of the game.

"We didn't play our best game against Auburn," senior guard Sha Brooks said. "I felt like if we would've played our best game, then we would've given them an even better run. I even think we would've won the game."

They didn't, and now Butler hopes her team can move forward the way it did after losing the first game of the season, which was also on the road.

"If we have the same response to this loss as we had our first loss, we're going to be in really good shape," Butler said.

Of course, that will be tough to reciprocate with opponents like Georgia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and LSU still on the schedule.

But the attitude and approach UF will take is no different, and it starts Thursday when they travel to South Carolina, yet another tough road outing.

"You can't have conversations about winning the SEC and not be able to handle the rigors of the road, not be able to rise to the challenge on someone else's home floor and go and steal a win," Butler said.

It sounds like this team is ready to put the idea of losing out of its mind once again.