MIAMI - It has become the Gators' signature play.

Quarterback Tim Tebow will take a snap, lean forward to fake a run, then pull back, jump and hurl a pass into the end zone.

The call catches defenses off guard every time, and it worked to perfection in UF's 24-14 win against Oklahoma in the BCS National Championship Game on Thursday night.

With 3:07 remaining in the contest, Tebow executed the jump pass flawlessly and connected with wide receiver David Nelson to put the Gators ahead by 10 points.

"Tebow is a great runner," Nelson said. "You have to acknowledge the fact that he can run the ball, especially in a goal-line situation."

Tebow had rushed the ball 17 times to that point in the game - eight more than anyone else on his team - so the Sooners had no choice but to be worried about him scrambling 4 yards into the end zone.

The touchdown sealed the victory for UF, which won its second national championship in three years.

"I'm going out on the field, and coach (Urban) Meyer says, 'Go win the game for us,'" Nelson said. "That's the play to win the game."

The jump pass was first unveiled on Oct. 7, 2006 when the Gators faced LSU in Gainesville.

Tight end Tate Casey caught that first jump pass from Tebow, falling down in the back of the end zone and bobbling the ball. It was also the first touchdown pass of Tebow's career.

"It's just one of those deals where you get called on to make a play," Casey said. "As ugly as it was, it turned out to be all right."

The Sooners were unable to defend the pass Thursday night, and that trick play ended their hopes for a national championship.

"It's real hard to see coming," Casey said.

When offensive coordinator Dan Mullen - who was coaching his last game for UF after accepting the head coaching job at Mississippi State in December - calls the jump pass, receiver Riley Cooper said players respect his decision and get excited to run it.

"Coach Mullen does a heck of a job calling those plays," Cooper said. "I love it."