MIAMI - While the time between the Gators' last two games may have been tough on players mentally, it's a good thing they had those 33 days to recover from injuries.

UF coach Urban Meyer thinks the extra time off is crucial to the Gators' success tonight.

"If we played this game any earlier than Jan. 8, I don't think we'd have a chance to win just because of our injury situation," Meyer said.

Wide receiver Percy Harvin, who sprained his right ankle against FSU on Nov. 29, should be fine to play against No. 2 Oklahoma tonight at 8 p.m.

"The good thing is, Jan. 8 we should be fairly healthy," Meyer said. "If we had to play a Jan. 1 bowl game, we would not have won that game. Really no chance of winning that game."

Offensive lineman Carl Johnson, wide receiver Louis Murphy and running back Kestahn Moore (all knee injuries) will be available for UF as well.

COMPETITIVE SNAPS: Meyer knows part of the problem with planning for Oklahoma's defense is that there is very little video of them playing their hardest.

Since the Sooners are usually ahead by a good margin at halftime, there was little reason for them to go all-out in the second half.

While looking at game film for most teams, Meyer sees 800 to 900 "competitive snaps." But for Oklahoma?

"You take that and probably cut it right in half, because they're just beating the mess out of teams," Meyer said.

This is part of the reason Oklahoma's defense is underrated, Meyer said - they're barely playing in situations where they have to try.

"So I see a fine defense, I see an excellent defense that we're getting ready to face, especially when you look at the competitive snaps," Meyer said.

QUIT WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD: Don't expect to see a cane-wielding Meyer roaming the sidelines in 30 years.

The UF coach said Wednesday morning that he'll be out of coaching long before he turns 70.

"There will be no chance I'll be doing this into my 70s or 80s," Meyer said. "Zero. None."

The era of long-tenured coaches like Penn State's Joe Paterno and FSU's Bobby Bowden is a thing of the past, Meyer said.

"I don't know if you'll ever see that again," Meyer said. "You certainly won't see it at the same institution. People get tired and they want to run you out of town."

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops also sees an end to his coaching career coming earlier than his eighth decade.

"No way," Stoops said while laughing. "I don't need it. I love what I do. I mean, I absolutely love it. It's exciting, it's everything you want. You know you're alive every day."

WHO'S NO. 1?: Utah upended Alabama in the Sugar Bowl on Friday and finished its season as the only undefeated team in the FBS.

Meyer, who coached at Utah previous to UF, understands completely why the Utes feel they are deserving of a national championship and why coach Kyle Whittingham would vote for himself in the final Coaches Poll as the No. 1 team. USC coach Pete Carroll and Texas coach Mack Brown have said in the media that they are also going to vote their teams as No. 1.

"Well, that's absolutely what they should do," Meyer said. "I've got news: I'm representing the University of Florida, and I'm an employee of the University of Florida, and I represent my players. I'm going to fight like a dog to take care of them."

Meyer was widely accused of "lobbying" for UF to make the 2006 BCS National Championship Game, which received negative publicity.

"I love that term. I was lobbying," Meyer said. "I simply said that we belonged in the game. … If a coach would win a game (and go 13-1) and not fight for their players, that's not a good coach."

Stoops, however, did not want to comment about other teams' claims for a national title and said those things are up for the media to decide.

"I mean, that's not for me to do," Stoops said. "They're all good football teams; everyone realizes that."