UF students who are academically sanctioned for driving under the influence are generally only suspended for one semester, a slap on the wrist when put into perspective.

When my car was hit head on by a UF student driving with a blood alcohol content level of .156, or twice the legal alcohol limit, I was the only one incapable of going to school the next day. Not only did this one single invasive act put me in a coma for 11 days, it took me out of school for a year, and left my friends and family in the Shands ER waiting room where they were prohibited from seeing me because my mother did not want them to witness what I looked like when machines were breathing and consuming food for me.

So when does a public school have the right to judge someone's actions outside of school?

When those actions put the public, sometimes their own students, at risk. You may pay to go to school here right now, but I will forever pay a price for another student's decision to drink and drive.

With this in mind, please pay your own tab and designate a driver.