About 90 people packed into Pugh Hall on Thursday night to hear three former U.S. ambassadors speak on America's foreign policies and what changes President Barack Obama's administration might bring.

The speakers came to UF as part of the Bob Graham Center for Public Service's 2009 Presidential Lecture Series, "Transition to Power."

Ray Mabus, former ambassador to Saudi Arabia and former governor of Mississippi; Douglas McElhaney, former ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina; and Frank McNeil, former ambassador to Costa Rica, all spoke at the lecture.

The event was the first part of a three-part series that will bring prominent politicians and experts to UF to speak this semester.

Paul D'Anieri, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, moderated the event and introduced the speakers.

Over the course of about 45 minutes, the former ambassadors casually replied to questions asked by D'Anieri.

"If we don't fix the economy, the rest doesn't matter," said McNeil, who graduated from UF in 1954.

The speakers agreed on most of the issues that were covered, even cracking jokes at times.

During a question-and-answer session, some students asked about the role of the U.S. in international law and the conflict between Palestine and Israel.

"It was a very useful dialogue on international diplomacy," said Logan Perel, a UF political science senior. "They spoke about relative and current issues."

UF paid for travel and lodging for the guests, said Mike Bowen, assistant director of the Graham Center.

Former Sen. Bob Graham, who invited the speakers, said bringing international speakers like these allows students to become connected to the outside world.

"I believe that student life shouldn't be lived inside the walls of the university," he said. "Students need to be exposed to real-world people and events."