A Gainesville man was arrested Monday after trying to hit a Gainesville Police officer with his car.

After being stopped by an officer for a traffic violation, Terry Lee, 26, told GPD Ofc. Mose Rochelle he didn't do anything wrong and restarted his vehicle.

When Rochelle told Lee to stop the car, the man in the passenger seat dug in his pocket, prompting Rochelle to call for backup, the GPD report stated.

According to the report, Lee reversed his 1993 silver Mercury in attempt to pin Rochelle against his patrol car.

"I was in great fear of my life as I dove out of the vehicle's path," Rochelle said. "If I would have not jumped out of the way I would have been killed."

Lee drove away, and Rochelle chased him in his patrol car.

The chase continued across East University Avenue, up Northeast Waldo Road and north on Northeast 11th Street where Lee crashed his Mercury into the fence at 1102 NE Fifth Place.

Lee then got out of the car and ran into a nearby wooded area where he was caught by an Alachua County Sheriff's office dog.

During a search of Lee's car, officers found 0.5 grams of crack cocaine that was packaged for street sale.

Lee was charged with four felonies and two misdemeanors including attempted murder, possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell and flee or attempt to elude a police officer.

"This man attempted to drive over a police officer to avoid getting caught for such a small amount of narcotics," Kameg said.