Results from four UF players in NFL Combine

Seconds can mean the difference between millions of dollars.

That's how it goes at the annual NFL Combine, held this past week in Indianapolis inside Lucas Oil Stadium. I consider the whole ordeal to be a little focused on numbers, but those digits will make a big impact on where players get drafted.

Here's how the four Gators fared at the Combine:

Jason Watkins: The offensive tackle was a solid player for the Gators, and Tim Tebow is sure thankful to his offensive line this season. But sometimes it's difficult to calculate how much of that praise should go to which lineman. The 6-foot-6, 310-pounder ran a 5.20 in the 40-yard dash, which is pretty consistent with some of the leaders at offensive tackle. Virginia's Eugene Monroe, whom many consider the top tackle in this year's draft, clocked a 5.25.

Projection: I'll admit I'm far from an expert on offensive linemen, especially when it comes to trying to figure out where Watkins might go in the draft. It's pretty clear he won't be hearing his name on Day 1, but some projections have him as high as a fourth-round pick. I'm thinking more like sixth.

Louis Murphy: Unfortunately for Murphy, UF wide receivers don't have a great track record in the NFL (see: Chad Jackson, Taylor Jacobs, Dallas Baker, Andre and Reche Caldwell). The St. Petersburg native has felt the burden but believes he will be different. He had to miss the Senior Bowl due to a minor knee injury, but his 4.43 in the 40 was good for ninth among wideouts.

He told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that he and Percy Harvin are going to end UF's streak of poor NFL receivers.

"There hadn't been two national championships in three years at Florida yet either," Murphy said.

Projection: Definitely another second-day prospect, and Murphy is going to be hurt by the UF stigma as well as the fact that he never had to do too much with the Gators. He had some big catches but also some crucial drops. Some projections have him creeping into the second round, but he'll drop to the fourth.

Cornelius Ingram: Coming off his ACL injury, Ingram had a lot to prove at the Combine and had nixed any return in the BCS National Championship Game to ensure a good showing. The 6-foot-4, 245-pounder did pretty well, clocking the fourth-best 40 time among tight ends (4.68).

"There are a lot of pretty good tight ends in this draft, and they have a full season worth of film," Ingram told the Florida Times-Union. "I have a lot to prove."

Projection: The simple eye test tells me that Ingram - if healthy - is going to be a special football player just based on his freakish athletic ability. He may be a bit undersized at the tight end position, and injury concerns will likely keep him from going on Day 1. I consider him a great third-round pick and a steal at any later round.

Percy Harvin: The dynamic playmaker had the most to gain this past weekend at the Combine. The American Football Coaches Association First Team All-American ran an official 4.41 in the 40, which ranked him tied for sixth among wideouts. Most importantly, however, he beat the time of Missouri's Jeremy Maclin (4.43). Top receiver prospect Michael Crabtree did not run due to injury.

Projection: Teams have to decide where they want to use Harvin, but there's no doubt about the playmaking potential he has. A big key will be how teams view his durability after Harvin missed five games during his three seasons as a Gator. Teams are obviously taking this seriously, as Harvin reportedly took much longer than expected during medical tests and scrapped one media opportunity. It looks like Crabtree will be the first receiver taken despite his injury, but Harvin could edge Maclin and be the next one off the board. Look for him to be a mid-to-high first-round pick.

That's how I think the four former Gators fared at the NFL Combine. The next big date for them will be March 18, UF's Pro Day inside The Swamp.

This will be another opportunity for them to show off for NFL coaches and scouts as well as do some additional in-depth drills.