SPORTS  |  SFC

SFC sweeps PHCC behind Squires first game no-hitter

Santa Fe College's flawless pitching Saturday against Pasco Hernando Community College allowed its offense to play ball.

Freshman pitcher Kimberly Squires (4-0) threw a no-hitter the first game behind an impenetrable defense. The Conquistadors didn't reach first base until the top of the fifth inning when Courtney Pinkerman was hit by a pitch.

Both offensively and defensively, the Saints (7-1) were unstoppable, mercy ruling the Conquistadors with scores of 8-0 and 14-0 in the first and second games, respectively.

The Saints finished their first game with a walk-off three-run homer from freshman first baseman Morgan Fortson.

"We played together as a team and we hit well," Fortson said. "We were cheering each other on and playing together, and from the top to bottom of the lineup (we) hit. And that's what it takes."

Fortson and sophomore third baseman Kristina Cruz had five and two RBIs, respectively, in the first game.

In the second game, the Saints kept the pounding going, putting up 11 runs in the bottom of the first inning. Fortson was still hot during the second game, hitting a stand-up double to center field with two RBIs. Up to bat after Fortson, sophomore Brittany Cannon cleared the bases with the second three-run homer of the day, making the score 9-0.

"There was a lot of intensity in these games," Cannon said. "We played together as one and had lots of momentum."

Defense may win games, but for the Saints, offense was key in the second game. Fortson, Cannon and Cruz accounted for all 14 RBIs.

"The girls were very aggressive at bat," coach Chris Ahern said. "But they were selective and disciplined with their pitches. They were hot. It was a good Valentine's Day."

Pitchers Alexandra Savage and Ashley Schmitt allowed just one hit each, continuing Squires' trend of dominating the Conquistadors' bats.

The Saints are currently ranked No. 1 in the state and in the nation.