SPORTS  |  SFC

SFC women's basketball team breaks century mark in win against Seminole Community College

Undefeated in the Mid-Florida Conference, the Santa Fe College women's basketball team continued its winning streak against Seminole Community College Wednesday night.

The Saints (18-4, 7-0 MFC) put a hurting on SCC, defeating them by a final score of 102-69.

The Saints hadn't broken 100 points since November 2007 when they defeated Broward College 101-62.

The victory over the Raiders was an excellent display of teamwork. The women swung the ball around and had 20 assists for the game, including eight from sophomore guard Tiffany Jackson.

All the passing gave every SFC player a chance to make an impact, and they did not disappoint.

Sophomore guard Quanisha Dixon was the night's leading scorer with 19 points, but she barely beat out her teammates. Four other Saints scored in double digits, making the victory a true team effort.

"This is a we-not-me team," sophomore forward Nichelle Glover said.

As for the Raiders, who are 1-7 in the MFC, it was a tough shooting night. SCC shot 27 for 67 from the field and 6 for 20 from behind the arc. The Saints capitalized on the Raiders' weakness, scoring big on rebounds and steals.

The coaching staff, pleased with its team's performance and victory, is looking at this game as one more step toward winning the conference.

"We're going to continue to stay hungry, we can't get complacent," assistant coach Gary Green said. "After every game we find something to work on."

Head coach Chanda Stebbins echoed Green on the Saints' conference standing and the team's next step.

"We came today to play solid," Stebbins said. "We just want to take it one game at a time, take care of tonight's game first and go from there. We have Central Florida on Saturday, and they will be ready for us."

The Saints take on CFCC on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. in Ocala.