Audience members danced and clapped in their seats as the Gainesville Chamber Orchestra played familiar tunes for the free, annual Pops on the Plaza concert.

Because of the rain Saturday night, the concert was moved from the Gainesville Downtown Community Plaza to the P.K. Yonge Auditorium.

Conductor Evans Haile said the Pops concert gives the orchestra a chance to reach out to those who wouldn't normally attend.

"The great thing about this concert is that it's not just Pops music but a little of everything," he said.

For almost 500 people, the orchestra played a smorgasbord of music including pieces from Broadway's "Show Boat" and "E.T."

The orchestra also played "A Tribute to Henry Mancini," which featured the theme song from "The Pink Panther."

Buchholz High School senior Scott Graham, 18, played trumpet in the concert.

"The Pops concert is really good for the community," Graham said. "It's something that a lot of people can relate to."

He said a piece that most audience members knew was the "Harry Potter Suite."

"Kids of all ages love Harry Potter," he said. "When you hear the music, it makes you think of the movie and all of the magic that happens."

Nancy Speigel said she got goosebumps during the performance.

"Goosebumps are the sign of a good concert," she said.

Speigel, whose son Jeoff plays trombone in the orchestra, said she thinks the Pops concert is needed for the children of Gainesville to become more acquainted with the arts.

"I was sitting there the whole time thinking this is something my grandson would enjoy," she said.