Clerk traps man attempting theft at convenience store

A Gainesville convenience store employee stopped a man from stealing Sunday night by electronically locking the store doors.

At 5:10 p.m. at the Kangaroo at 1516 S. E. 4th Ave., the store clerk saw a man putting items into his black duffel bag.

When the man tried to leave the store, the clerk electronically locked the doors, the Gainesville Police Department arrest report stated.

After the man realized the doors were locked, the clerk asked him what was in his bag. The man pushed the clerk out of the way, went to an office in the back of the store and took the items out of his bag, the report stated.

After he was arrested, Tommie Nobles, 39, said he was involved in the theft as a lookout but denied taking the items, the report stated. Nobles put five Glade air fresheners, an Amoral car interior spray, and a 32 oz. Natural Light beer into the duffel bag.

According to the report, officials also found half a gram of marijuana and a glass pipe containing cocaine residue in his bag. Nobles was charged with petit theft, simple battery, possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.