Gators bounce back from sweep with win at Stetson

For someone who was projected to be the closer, Jeff Barfield turned in an impressive start.

The junior college transfer went 6 2/3 innings in his first start as a Gator and set the tone for a 5-2 road victory against Stetson on Tuesday night.

UF coach Kevin O'Sullivan said before the season that Barfield was the likely candidate to close games for the Gators (6-3), but the junior right-hander found himself on the mound from the opening pitch against the Hatters (2-7).

"The truth of the matter is, we went through two weekends and used him only one time," O'Sullivan said of his decision to start Barfield. "We needed to get him out there."

Barfield didn't disappoint.

He allowed five hits and 1 run while striking out four and only walking one.

O'Sullivan said Barfield could earn a regular spot in the rotation, but he is not worried about defining his pitchers' roles right now.

Junior Billy Bullock was once again used in the closer's role against Stetson, as he saw 1 2/3 innings of work and picked up his second save.

Offensively, the Gators recorded an equal number of hits as the Hatters, but they were able to score runs by hitting for extra bases.

UF freshman Preston Tucker put the first run on the scoreboard in the fourth inning when he deposited his first career home run over the right-field wall.

The next inning, freshman Jerico Weitzel led off the fifth by stretching a single to left-center field into a double.

"We always tell them, 'You better be sure you can make it with nobody out,'" O'Sullivan said. "I held my breath there."

Shortstop Michael Mooney, who was back in the nine hole after a brief stint in the No. 2 spot of the lineup, laid down a sacrifice bunt, and senior Avery Barnes drove Weitzel in with a sacrifice fly.

The Gators would increase their lead to 5-1 by the end of the sixth, and that was more than enough run support for Barfield and the bullpen.

"These midweek games make you nervous. We have a lot of young pitchers, and we need them to show up," O'Sullivan said.

UF heads back to Gainesville for a game against Florida Atlantic tonight at 6:30 in McKethan Stadium.

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.