A Gainesville restaurant was robbed by an armed man Monday morning.

At 8:57 a.m., an employee at Cedar River Seafood and Oyster Bar, 5847 S.W. 75th St., said he was waiting for someone to come and repair restaurant equipment when he heard a knock at the back door, Alachua County Sheriff's Offices spokesman Art Forgey said.

Forgey said when the employee opened the door, he was met by a man with a gun.

The man forced the two employees in the restaurant to open the safe. After taking an undetermined amount of money, the man then attempted to tie the employees up with speaker wire.

The employee told officials when the man couldn't get the speaker wire to hold, he individually plastic wrapped their hands together, Forgey said.

He walked out the back door and headed west behind the Publix in the shopping center where the restaurant is located.

The man has not yet been caught and is described as a black man between the ages of 35 and 40 years old with a medium-sized build.

The employees told officials the man was bald with a scruffy beard and was wearing a blue shirt, blue jeans and a blue hat.