A UF student was arrested Tuesday after he lied to police about being robbed.

At around 12:30 p.m. Michael Hughes, 20, called the Gainesville Police Department and told officers that he had been robbed by two men with knives, the GPD arrest report stated.

According to the report, because of the severity of Hughes' call, GPD sent two officers, two detectives, a supervisor and an evidence technician to his apartment at 1225 SW 1st Ave.

When they arrived, Hughes told officials that he had made the story up, GPD spokesman Mike Schibuola said.

He told officers he called because he wanted to heighten law enforcement patrol around his apartment complex. He said for the past three months "strange people" would come to his door asking for Xanax, the report stated.

According to the report, Hughes told officers he missed an important meeting Tuesday morning, misplaced money his mother gave him and was under stress because of school.

During the investigation, officers found a large white pipe on the kitchen counter and a glass bong on top of the refrigerator. Hughes admitted to using them for smoking marijuana, the report stated. Hughes was charged with making a false police report and possessing and using drug paraphernalia.