Local feminists protesting what they see as a racist and sexist pattern in layoffs at UF presented the university with a statement signed by about 240 supporters Wednesday around noon.

Between 10 and 15 supporters handed the statement to Jeanna Mastrodicasa, UF's assistant vice president of student affairs, with the intention that it would be given to UF President Bernie Machen, said UF journalism sophomore Bethany Koch, spokeswoman for the group.

"Only 34 percent of full-time faculty are women, and 25 percent are of minority background," the statement read.

"Yet 61 percent of the layoffs have been women, and 54 percent were people of color," it continued.

The numbers were provided by UF's chapter of the United Faculty of Florida, Koch said.

"Our intention was to inform Bernie Machen that we're not going to stand for this," Koch said.

According to UF records, eight faculty, seven of whom were women, and 66 staff were laid off as a result of the last round of budget cuts. Two of the faculty members, both foreign-born women, were reinstated last month after challenging their layoffs. Two other faculty were fired in their place.

Presenting the statement was part of a project for a community class offered by Gainesville Women's Liberation called Women's Liberation: Where Do I Fit In?