UF President Bernie Machen walked outside his office Thursday and perched himself on a bench to discuss looming budget cuts and tuition increases with Students for a Democratic Society.

About 10 SDS members sat inside Tigert Hall in peaceful protest for about an hour.

"It's a game of chicken with careers and education," Machen told protesters about the state Legislature's unwillingness to take necessary action, such as raising taxes.

An open dialogue between Machen and SDS students began at about 12:30 p.m., half an hour after members arrived and began debating among themselves about alternative solutions to UF's fiscal shortcomings.

Participants said they believe that, although a slight tuition increase would be acceptable, they'd prefer the state to increase income taxes, sales taxes or both.

"Tuition increases make education inaccessible and makes class divisions," said Tina Steiger, a UF political science senior and member of SDS.

The group also supported the 1-cent increase on sales taxes during the next three years being lobbied for by the Florida Education Association.

The extra money would benefit Florida public education, Steiger said.

During the discussion, SDS informed Machen about a survey that said 77 percent of Florida citizens would favor the sales tax increase.

Machen said the state Legislature had its own polls saying the majority of Floridians were completely opposed to any tax increases.

He said his management of UF's budget crisis reflected this.

"I've got to look at the reality of the situation," Machen said. "And that's that the state Legislature won't raise taxes."

Before Machen left, members of SDS asked him to continue fighting for them in Tallahassee.

"It's good to have an ally," said SDS member and UF organic and sustainable crop production senior Skeet Surrency, after the discussion, "yet frustrating that we students have to take the fall for the state's mismanagement."

Surrency said that in the past, SDS has had issues with serving food. Before Machen arrived, SDS members tried to ladle out soup from a metal pot among themselves, but were told they were not allowed, according to UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes.