Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
We inform. You decide.
Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Autopsy results support officer's account

New forensics information in the fatal shooting of a man by an Alachua County Sheriff's deputy supports witness statements that the man continued to attack the officer after being Tasered.

Nicholous Vertex Weeks, 18, was shot several times on Friday by Lt. Mike Hanson in the intersection of NW 34th Street and 39th Avenue after physical force and the use of a Taser gun did not stop Weeks from attacking the deputy, said Gainesville Police Department spokesman Keith Kameg.

The preliminary autopsy shows that there were multiple shots fired because Weeks continued to attack Hanson even after being shot several times.

"Witnesses said they thought the deputy was firing blanks because Weeks wasn't stopping," Kameg said.

Kameg said when Hanson arrived at the scene and tried to break up a fight between Weeks and a girl, Weeks came at the officer with force.

The deputy then shot Weeks with a Taser gun for five seconds.

Hanson attempted to use the Taser gun again when Weeks pulled the prongs from the gun out of his skin and charged at Hanson. When Weeks went for Hanson's gun, the deputy shot him multiple times, killing him on the scene.

Week's family has refused to speak with officials, despite numerous attempts to contact them, Kameg said.

Officials are still unclear about why Weeks was at the intersection and how he got there.

Week's juvenile history included a charge of battery on a law enforcement official and mental health issues.

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Alligator delivered to your inbox
Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Independent Florida Alligator has been independent of the university since 1971, your donation today could help #SaveStudentNewsrooms. Please consider giving today.

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2022 The Independent Florida Alligator and Campus Communications, Inc.