LaPorta, Augenstein called up to big leagues; Chaney, Brown find transfer destinations

Two former Gators have recently been called up to the big leagues.

UF's all-time home runs leader Matt LaPorta was called up by the Indians on May 2, and the left fielder made his debut May 3 against the Tigers. The 24-year-old went 0 for 4 that night but hit his first major-league home run on May 4 against the Blue Jays.

UF's former first baseman was acquired by the Indians on July 7, 2008, from the Brewers as part of the CC Sabathia trade.

Including last night's matchup against the White Sox, LaPorta has played six games and has four hits in 18 at-bats (.222), one home run and two RBIs.

Right-handed pitcher Bryan Augenstein made his debut for the Diamondbacks on Wednesday night at home against the Reds. Augenstein lost his first start, giving up five runs in 6.1 innings of work while striking out three and walking two.

MOVING ON: Forward Allan Chaney is transferring to Virginia Tech, and defensive tackle John Brown will attend Northeast Mississippi Community College, according to several published reports.

Chaney, who came to Gainesville from Baltimore, played in 23 games last season and averaged almost 10 minutes per game but saw his playing time steadily decline during conference play due to injury.

He played in only one of 13 games after Feb. 3 and was suspended during the National Invitational Tournament. He will have to sit out the 2009-10 season and will then have three seasons of eligibility remaining.

Brown can play right away for the NMCC football team because he is going to the junior-college level. The Lakeland High graduate came to Gainesville in 2007 rated as the nation's fifth-best defensive tackle recruit according to Scout.com but never made much of an impact for the Gators due to numerous injuries.