Swine flu infects 55 in Florida, one is UF student

Florida had 55 confirmed cases of swine flu, including one UF student, as of Monday afternoon, according to the Florida Department of Health.

The UF student, a 19-year-old female whose identity will not be released, is the only confirmed case in Alachua County.

The student visited the Student Health Care Center April 27 with flu-like symptoms. She left Gainesville for her hometown two or three days later, UF spokesman Steve Orlando said.

The student had mild symptoms and has fully recovered, according to an e-mail sent to UF students last week .

Additionally, there have been four probable cases of the swine flu in Florida. The state has accounted for about 2 percent of the 2,600 total confirmed cases in the U.S., as of Monday afternoon.

Despite concerns about swine flu, which is suspected to have come from Mexico, UF's two summer study abroad programs in Mexico are expected to continue as scheduled. A total of 45 students are signed up to study in Guadalajara and Merida, said Susanne Hill, interim executive director of UF's International Center. The program starts June 24.

"We have six weeks before the program starts," Hill said. "We'll keep watching and hope that things will calm down."

If necessary, she said UF will make changes to the programs, but she doesn't want to see any hasty decisions made.

"These students are counting on getting (class) credit," she said.

She said her office has not received calls or e-mails asking about UF's plans for the summer programs.

While no students have pulled out of UF's trips, two students out of a group of about 15 have canceled their plans to participate in an independent program in Guadalajara this summer, Hill said.

UF's graduation ceremonies earlier this month also proceeded as planned. About 9,200 students applied for degrees this spring and more than 7,100 students walked, Orlando said. Unlike some other universities, UF decided not to ban handshakes in response to the swine flu outbreak.

UF decided the outbreak wasn't as serious as previously believed, Orlando said.

"We also took into account the fact that this is a pretty important event for people, when they graduate and get to shake the (university) president's hand," he said. "For many students, this is the only time they get to meet the president."