The College of Engineering announced a new dean on Monday - the first female dean in the history of the college.

Cammy Abernathy, who has been at UF since 1993, will take over on July 17, replacing Pramod Khargonekar, who just finished his eighth year as dean.

Khargonekar announced his resignation in late 2007. Due to budget uncertainties, the search process was cut short in March of 2008 and resumed in January.

"It's not really about me," Abernathy said of her selection as the first female dean in a UF news release. "It's a sign of where engineering has to go in the future.We have to change the way engineering is perceived, and we have to change the way it is introduced to potential students. This is especially important because engineering - and educating the next generation of engineers - is so critical to our country today."

Abernathy attended Massachusetts Institute of Technology as an undergraduate and earned her master's and doctorate degrees at Stanford University. She also worked for AT&T Bell Laboratories, according to a memo sent to administrators Monday.

She is currently the associate dean for the Office of Academic Affairs and a professor of materials science in the engineering college. Her husband, Steve Pearton, is a UF distinguished professor of materials science and engineering.

Abernathy couldn't be reached by press time, but Khargonekar's salary is listed as about $302,000. Abernathy currently earns about $233,000, according to UF's Web site.

Khargonekar said he plans to continue teaching and researching in the electrical and computer engineering department.