Dana Carvey, of "Wayne's World" fame, will perform at the Oct. 16 Gator Growl, organizers announced Monday.

Carvey was the second most popular comedian in the student poll conducted by Gator Growl staff earlier this year, said show spokesman Bryan Griffin. Jimmy Fallon got the most votes.

Other comedians on the ballot were Darrell Hammond and Demetri Martin.

The poll received about 500 responses.

Griffin said the staff tried to snag Fallon for the show, but his schedule didn't allow it, likely because of his new NBC show "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon."

Matt Sloan, the show's producer, said staff aimed for a bigger name this time, not an up-and-comer like Jon Reep, last year's headliner.

He said with the football team winning championships and the senior class one of the best in the nation, the staff felt Carvey was worth the extra money.

"We wanted to up our game because they upped their game," he said, adding that he wasn't able to release Carvey's payment for the show because it hasn't been finalized yet.

He said in recent years the show has alienated students.

"I feel like we've really lost a lot of traction with the students, and we're trying to get that back."

But it's tricky picking acts, he said, because of the wide variety of people who attend the show - about 40,000 students, 15,000 locals and 15,000 alumni and football fans in town for the game the next day.

Carvey is a former "Saturday Night Live" cast member and played Garth in the "Wayne's World" movies. He also has a recent HBO special called "Squatting Monkeys Tell No Lies."

Many students surveyed on campus weren't familiar with Carvey, but recent UF graduate Rob Castellucci was excited to hear the news.

It's a "massive improvement" over last year's comedian, he said.

"I think he's really funny compared to a lot of the crap they usually bring in," he said.

He said the band organizers are trying to lock in for the show is young and fresh and should also appeal to students, though he declined to say who it is.

The musical act will likely be announced next month.

The bands on the ballot in this year's poll were Sugarland, ZZ Top, O.A.R. and Third Eye Blind.

Steve Miller Band played at last year's show.

Tickets can be purchased by UF students, faculty and staff for $15 at gatorzone.com.

The general public can purchase tickets for $25 starting Aug. 24.