Former student may face murder charges

The Gainesville Police Department will request a murder charge against a former UF student after her boyfriend died from a gunshot wound to the head Monday afternoon.

Yasmin Linder, 19, was arrested Sunday night and charged with attempted murder after shooting Torrey Blalock, 20, at their apartment in The Estates, 3527 SW 20th Ave.

When Linder was booked at the Alachua County Jail, Blalock was in critical condition at Shands at UF. He died at about 3:40 p.m. Monday, said GPD spokesman Keith Kameg.

When officers arrived at the apartment Sunday night, they found Blalock unconscious but breathing on the floor of the bedroom, Kameg said.

According to Kameg, he was shot once above his left eye with a .22-caliber semi-automatic handgun.

Linder told officials that after finding text messages Blalock sent to other women, she went into the bedroom closet with the gun and threatened to kill herself. Blalock then came into the closet, turned the gun toward him and told Linder to shoot him, according to the report.

After a brief struggle, Linder told police she pulled the trigger.

"We will be contacting the State Attorney's Office and requesting for the charges to be changed or increased from attempted murder to murder," Kameg said.