A UF professor arrested in January while trying to trade cocaine for sexual favors pleaded not guilty to the charges earlier this month.

Michael Heckenberger, 47, an associate professor in UF/s Department of Anthropology, was charged with sale of a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a church, a felony, on Jan. 17 after an officer in his patrol car watched him throw a bag on the street, according to a police report.

The substance in the bag field-tested positive for cocaine, the report stated.

Heckenberger said the cocaine wasn/t his. He told police he was "curious" and wanted to trade it for sexual favors from a man he had been standing with.

The arrest happened about 450 feet away from the Progressive Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ in northwest Gainesville.

A UF employee since 1999, Heckenberger was placed on paid administrative leave in February, according to UF spokesman Steve Orlando. Heckenberger draws a salary of almost $72,000, according to UF records.

His arrest happened four days after his probation for a possible drunk driving incident was cut short by the court.

In January of 2008, he was pulled over at 2 a.m., and the arresting officer noted in the police report that he "showed signs of impairment and admitted to drinking a few beers." Heckenberger refused to perform field sobriety tests and did not consent to a breathalyzer test.

Last July, after pleading no contest to reckless driving, his license was revoked for six months. Heckenberger also agreed to one year supervised probation, almost $600 in fines and court costs, 50 hours of community service, alcohol safety classes and random drug and alcohol screenings.