U.S News & World Report ranked Shands at UF among the top 50 hospitals in the country in its annual ranking.

The hospital was ranked in seven out of 16 specialties, including 24th for heart and heart surgery, by U.S. News/ annual America/s Best Hospitals list released Wednesday.

Out of the 4,861 hospitals considered, fewer than 0.4 percent were ranked in a specialty, according to the report.

The hospital placed 45th in cancer, 38th in diabetes and endocrine systems, 38th in ear, nose and throat, 27th in gynecology, 25th in geriatric care and 27th in urology.

"To be ranked in seven [specialties] really puts you in a small universe," said Avery Comarow, U.S. News/ health rankings editor. "To appear at all in one specialty is a big deal. These are elite hospitals."

The magazine also named Shands at UF the best hospital in Florida for heart and heart surgery, urology and geriatric care, according to a Shands news release.

"We are proud to be named No. 1 in Florida," said Jamie Beth Conti, professor of medicine and interim chief for the UF/s College of Medicine division of cardiovascular disease, which encompasses the heart and heart surgeries area. "The faculty is delighted to be recognized for our efforts to provide exceptional cardiovascular care."

Shands at UF received the same rankings in 2008.

"There/s usually not an awful lot of change," Comarow said, referring to the fact that UF/s ranking remained the same in all of the seven categories. "There/s not a lot of movement near the top."

The rankings for the categories in which UF was listed were calculated based on reputation, death rate, patient safety and other care-related factors. Reputation was based on specialist surveys.

The magazine only considered teaching hospitals, hospitals that had 200 or more beds or hospitals that had 100 beds and four out of eight key technologies for its list.

John Hopkins Hospital was first on the list for the 18th consecutive year.

To view the complete list of ranked hospitals, visit www.usnews.com/besthospitals.