As a result of recent armed robberies, UF plans to install cameras at Corry Village and Tanglewood Village, two graduate and family housing complexes.

It/s not yet clear how many cameras will be installed and how much they will cost, said Sharon Blansett, UF/s assistant director of housing.

She declined to give estimates but said the money for the cameras would come from UF/s Department of Housing and Residence Education budget, which generates its own revenue, meaning nothing will come from UF/s state-funded budget.

Though no installation date is set, Blansett said, they will likely go up after the start of the fall semester because the housing staff is currently focused on getting ready for the flood of fall students, she said.

The department currently has cameras installed at other housing units, but Blansett declined to say which units had cameras or how many cameras are operational.

"[With] some of the best programs related to surveillance, you don/t necessarily announce the locations of the cameras to everyone," she said.

The camera installation follows two recent armed robberies at the housing complexes, one at Corry Village last month and one at Tanglewood Village in December.

At Corry Village, located at Village Drive and Museum Road, a student was walking from the parking lot to his apartment when a man with a gun demanded his car keys, according to the University Police Department.

The student refused to give up his keys, so the man stole cash and a cell phone instead.

At Tanglewood Village, 2901 SW 13th St., a married couple was robbed at gunpoint moments after they returned to their apartment, according to UPD.

Two suspects stole their wallets and cell phones.