With the departure of seniors Phil Trautwein and Jason Watkins, the Gators will look to reshuffle the offensive line heading into the 2009 season.

Mike and Maurkice Pouncey are givens. Carl Johnson and Marcus Gilbert will be there as well. The last spot is up for grabs.

Johnson, who started at left guard last year, worked out at left tackle in the spring. But with the emergence of sophomore tackle Matt Patchan, Johnson could be slated for a move back inside despite his desire to remain at tackle.

"That's what I want, but our offense is predicated off middle push, so if I have to play guard and that's what it takes to get another championship, then let's go to Pasadena," Johnson said.

The junior is happy to be back on the field after a tumultuous offseason.

Johnson underwent knee surgery a week after UF's win against Oklahoma in the BCS National Championship Game.

Then, in February, he was arrested for allegedly violating a restraining order after he boarded a bus with his ex-girlfriend, who had filed a temporary injunction against him. All charges were eventually dismissed.

"You have to surround yourself with good people, strong coaching staff like the one we have here," Johnson said. "If you got enough support behind you, you can get through anything."

Patchan, who weighed just 260 pounds in the spring, put on nearly 30 pounds this summer and has impressed so far this fall.

The sophomore arrived in Gainesville as a 240-pound defensive lineman but could be a star in the making on offense.

Patchan, who hopes to eventually weigh in at 300 pounds, has Johnson to thank for his new puffed-up frame.

"If you need to gain weight, go eat with Carl (Johnson)," Patchan said. "That's the trick - eat like Carl eats."

Patchan's long arms and athleticism make him an ideal choice at tackle.

If Patchan can lock down a spot at left tackle and Johnson slides back to guard, junior Maurkice Pouncey would remain at center.

Sophomore center Sam Robey has drawn rave reviews from coaches and could see time at center.

If Robey ends up on the ball, Pouncey would work at guard with Johnson at left tackle. James Wilson should also see time in the rotation but could have a hard time cracking the lineup behind Patchan and Robey.

Only Gilbert, who is a mainstay at right tackle, is set in stone.