The number of layoffs to result from budget cuts has gone from 58 to 60 since UF announced its budget plan in May.

Twelve layoffs were eliminated across the university-seven faculty and 39 staff will be laid off as opposed to the original announcement of nine faculty and 49 staff.

But 14 layoffs were added for UF's radio station WUFT-FM-four faculty and 10 staff.

UF sent out official notices for most staff and a few faculty today, though they already knew they were being laid off, said Paula Fussell, UF's interim vice president of Human Resource Services.

UF's contracts call for a notice period between the notification of the layoff and the employee's last day of work. The notice period can be up to a year in some cases.

Fussell said the number of layoffs has dropped-and could continue to drop-because colleges and other units find private funding to save some positions, employees find other jobs at UF and others decide to retire before they get laid off.

UF's budget plan last year called for 14 faculty and 118 staff layoffs. In the end, eight faculty and 66 staff were laid off. Three faculty were later reinstated and two others were laid off in their place.