I would like to express my disappointment in the argument being put forth by Mr. Harringer in his letter in Monday's Alligator. It is unfortunate that it is not easier to find consensus in condemning the wearing of hateful religious messages in schools.

As a multi-ethnic, diversely religious and respectful country, we have the right to demand respect for others' beliefs in public space. Public schools and other government buildings are the property of the entire community and everyone has the right to feel comfortable in those places. Not an enumerated right in the Constitution but a right that we, as a community, can and should extend to each other. Believe it or not, we can still strive for these goals, no matter how politically or religiously divided we become.

The possibility of a young Muslim-American student being confronted in school with anti-Islam messages should be repugnant to all. As a society, we go to great lengths to teach children manners and then we set a terrible example by not flatly condemning meanness and intolerance simply because we are paralyzed by the topic of religion.

Furthermore, we see the devastation caused by religious intolerance across the world and throughout history. Where do you think those seeds are sown? At what age do you think these hatreds are embedded?