Former Gators quarterback Danny Wuerffel will host this year's Gator Growl, organizers announced Tuesday.

The show doesn't usually have a host, but bringing Wuerffel was a way to further the theme, Legends of the Swamp, said Bryan Griffin, the show's spokesman.

"We wanna convene both past and present legends," Griffin said.

Wuerffel, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1996, won't be paid for his efforts.

He will be joined by comedian Dana Carvey, band O.A.R. and dance crew Jabbawockeez.

Carvey and O.A.R. will be paid about $90,000 each while Jabbawockeez will get about $20,000.

Wuerffel will also be named grand marshal of the homecoming parade, which means he will be in the lead car, possibly with current UF quarterback Tim Tebow, Griffin said.

Wuerffel's similarities with Tebow, the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner, are a big reason the show decided to ask him to host, Griffin said.

Tickets for the Oct. 16 show are $15 for students, faculty and staff. General admission tickets are $25. They can be purchased online at gatorgrowl.org.