Gators use Joker package to maximize team speed

Florida's 3-3-5 defense couldn't be more aptly named.

Like the playing card it derives its name from, the Joker package isn't one of the most common defensive formations, but it can wreak havoc on opposing offenses and always has the potential to create a big play.

The biggest difference is the Gators are always holding the wild card, and their speed and versatility allow them to play it at any time.

"It's more fun because you can make more plays, especially when you're rushing them," linebacker Ryan Stamper said. "We cover really well, and when they throw the ball, it gives us a better chance to make interceptions. It seems like we make more plays when we're in that package, and that's why I love it so much."

That held true in Saturday's 56-6 win against Troy, when Florida's defense mostly operated from the Joker package. The results were promising: three turnovers, three sacks and just 71 yards allowed in the first half.

The 3-3-5 plays perfectly to the Gators' strengths. It keeps all three talented safeties - Ahmad Black, Major Wright and Will Hill - on the field, increases the depth of the defensive line and showcases the athletic ability of the defensive backs and linebackers, as they can blitz the quarterback or drop into coverage.

Defensive end Carlos Dunlap is used for his pass-rushing skills and his wingspan, as his 6-foot-6, 290-pound frame is helpful in pass coverage as well.

There's a lot of movement before the snap, which makes it tough for opponents to tell where the pressure will come from.

"We really disguise a lot," defensive line coach Dan McCarney said. "Sometimes you'll see two guys with their hands on the line of scrimmage with nine guys standing, and they're moving around. We talk about being moving targets and bringing them from all areas and different places. There's a rhyme and a reason for everything we do."

The Joker package causes chaos, the perfect environment for the Gators' opportunistic defense. The unit was third in the nation in takeaways last season, and its streak of 14-straight games with an interception leads the nation (the next closest teams are tied at nine).

Turnovers were a huge benefit for UF last year, and the Joker package will help ensure that trend continues. But it does have its faults.

Because of the three-man line and increased movement of the linebackers, the formation can be vulnerable against a good rushing game. The Gators used it heavily against Oklahoma's passing attack in the BCS Championship Game, but when Tennessee rolls into town Saturday, it'll likely be used only in passing situations.

"It's no secret what [the Volunteers] are going to do," UF coach Urban Meyer said. "They're going to come in with two really good backs and try to pound us and come after us running the ball.

"I don't believe they're going to come in and try to wing it all over the place to try and win the game. We have good cover guys, but we have to stop the run. If it starts to be a downhill game, we have a problem."

But if the Gators can stop the Volunteers' ground game, the Joker package will be especially useful on third downs. UT has an inexperienced receiving corps and a quarterback, Jonathan Crompton, who managed more touchdowns than interceptions just twice last season and threw three picks last week against UCLA.