Of A Revolution, better known as O.A.R., will will be the musical act at this year's Gator Growl, organizers announced Tuesday.

The band will be paid about $90,000, producer Matt Sloan said.

Comedian and former "Saturday Night Live" cast member Dana Carvey will also perform at this year's event on Oct. 16.

Carvey will be paid about $90,000 as well, Sloan said.

O.A.R. follows in the footsteps of Steve Miller Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd, the last two bands to play at Gator Growl.

In a poll taken earlier this year, O.A.R. was the top pick among students, beating out Third Eye Blind, ZZ Top and Sugarland in a poll of about 500 people, Sloan said.

O.A.R. should be a much more student-friendly performance than prior acts with a recent show that sold out Madison Square Garden, the top 10 hit "Shattered" and music directed more toward a college audience, Sloan said.

"We're really fortunate to have such a student-friendly band want to come play at Gator Growl," Sloan said. "We really want to put on a show that the student body will be proud of."

This year, Sloan said organizers aimed to spend more on talent, spending about $20,000 more for the band and comedian than they did last year. Organizers also plan to announce another surprise act as early as next week, Sloan said.

He said organizers had to get creative in promoting the show and recruiting sponsors this year, asking for help or trading services with the Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce, UF's Alumni Association and Gator Domino's.

Some students are pleased with the results so far.

"I am very excited about having O.A.R. at Gator Growl this year," UF accounting sophomore Ethan Latinsky said. "They are an awesome band and one that I have always wanted to hear live."

Aside from appealing to a college audience, Griffin said O.A.R. was also chosen because of the band's philanthropic background.

Gator Growl is now in its 86th year and is being promoted as the largest student-run pep rally in the world, with more than 500 student volunteers.

The theme of the show, "Legends of the Swamp," is meant to honor the football greats that have passed through the Swamp over the years. Tickets can be purchased at http://www.gatorgrowl.com.

Gator Growl Artist: O.A.R.

Photo: Reyna311
O.A.R. saxophonist Jerry DePizzo wails on stage. His horn-work can be heard in "Black Rock," a sample is featured below.