Friday, September 20, 2024

State representatives criticize radio show for lack of morals

"Lex & Terry," a syndicated radio show broadcast on UF-owned Rock 104, drew some heat from state lawmakers Wednesday.

State representatives Joseph Abruzzo and Erik Fresen co-signed a letter to UF President Bernie Machen criticizing some of the show's segments, like "Happy Birthday Bitch," "The Running of the Bums" and "Homeless Idol."

The letter was also sent to Gov. Charlie Crist, dean of the College of Journalism and Communications John Wright and UF's Board of Trustees.

"It is not our intention to censor positions," the letter reads, "or views however; subject matter which is dehumanizing and/or degrading to the physically disabled or offensive to a specific gender or race is unacceptable."

The lawmakers note that the station claims to be funded solely through advertising revenue but argue that its relationship with UF requires it to represent UF's ethics and moral standards.

Machen and Wright were out of the office Wednesday and couldn't be reached for comment. UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes declined to comment until they returned.

This isn't the first time the show has come under fire at UF, though. In 2005, UF stopped airing a segment of the show called "Drunk Bitch Friday" because of issues with binge and underage drinking.

Sue Yelton, coordinator of the community group that has protested changes to UF's other radio station, WUFT-FM, said she agrees with the lawmakers.

"The content of the Lex & Terry show, a lot of it goes directly against the aim and mission of the university," she said. "We're trying to improve our image with being No. 1 or No. 2 party school," she said.