A UF Academic Advising Center employee has been placed on leave and banned from campus after strange behavior that scared his co-workers, according to the University Police Department.

Gregory J. Champion, 23, reportedly began acting strangely at work in early August after returning from vacation.

On Aug. 20, the day after he was placed on paid leave, officers responded to the Beer Pit on West University Avenue because Champion was reportedly sending strange e-mails and text messages to employees from that location.

The e-mails stated that another employee wanted to hurt himself.

Officers determined that Champion was apparently projecting his issues onto the employee and noted a possible mental illness.

After speaking to Champion outside the Beer Pit, officers decided to take him to the Shands at UF emergency room, under the Baker Act.

On the way, officers stopped and placed ankle restraints on him after he began kicking in the back seat, according to the report.

According to UPD, he was banned from campus Aug. 31 and his future employment at UF is being discussed.