Monday, April 29, 2024

UF broadcast stations open doors to journalism students

In an effort to increase student involvement, UF's broadcast stations have made an unprecedented decision to allow all journalism and communication majors to attend an open house today.

Every year, close to 200 students help fill the positions required to keep UF's broadcast stations WUFT-TV, WUFT/WJUF-FM and WRUF-AM/FM up and running.

Rob Carr, the college's director of engineering and chairman of the open house, said traditionally, these positions have been filled by telecommunications majors.

Carr said the decision to allow all journalism and communications majors to attend the open house was made based on the station's recent consolidation into a new Division of Multimedia Properties.

"We're trying to encourage more student involvement," he said.

Students interested in going into telecommunication or just looking for a way to boost their resume can come to the open house and guided tour between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

The open house will be located near the main entrance of Weimer Hall's Flanagan Wing.

Opportunities for students to gain internships, volunteer positions and even paid positions will be available to students who attend, Carr said.

Pizza and drinks will be provided, and Albert is expected to stop by between noon and 1 p.m.

Students looking for more information can visit jou.ufl.edu/openhouse.