UF holds fair to encourage alternative transportation

The second annual Alternative Transportation Fair, sponsored by UF's Office of Sustainability, revved into action Tuesday with aims to promote the One Less Car Challenge, which started Aug. 24.

City and campus organizations held demonstrations and passed out fliers on the Reitz Union North Lawn from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. while representatives from the Office of Sustainability took questions and helped students register for the challenge.

Stephanie Sims, a program assistant who helped coordinate the event, stood at a booth and instructed students on how to register for the challenge.

Last year, almost 1,800 people participated in the One Less Car Challenge, according to Sims. More than 48,000 trips by automobile were avoided and 245 tons of carbon dioxide emissions were prevented from entering the atmosphere, she said.

This year, the Office of Sustainability is looking for even higher results.

"I hope this year's One Less Car Challenge will encourage new members of the campus community to try alternative transportation and that we will top the great success of last year," said Anna Prizzia, director of UF's Office of Sustainability.

Representatives from about 10 booths answered questions and handed out pamphlets about the different services offered around Gainesville.

Justin Smith, an environmental engineering senior who participated in the fair, said he's noticed a large increase of bicycles around campus.

"Now, they need to build some more bike racks," he said.

Smith rides his bicycle to most destinations or takes the bus when it's raining. He said he did not buy a parking decal this year.

Smith offered advice to students who will now be commuting to campus.

"Wear a helmet because it's dangerous out there," he said.