UF privacy breach reveals 25 Social Security numbers

On Monday UF announced a privacy breach involving the Social Security numbers of 25 people.

The numbers are believed to belong to trainers who worked with the Florida Traffic and Bicycle Safety Education program in 2006.

Officials aren't sure if anyone accessed the information, but it was found in an unprotected file last month during a routine security check, said UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes.

"We are not aware of anyone who has used it for fraudulent purposes," Sikes said.

The file also contained the names of 34 people, but the names didn't match up with the Social Security numbers, she said.

"They don't really know whose Social Security numbers they were," she said.

UF doesn't normally publicize such a small privacy breach, she said, but the university hasn't been able to identify and contact the individuals involved, so officials decided to post the information online.

In 2008, UF experienced 107 significant privacy breach incidents that involved the records of almost 355,000 people, according to information presented to UF's Board of Trustees in March.

Sikes said UF is constantly improving its efforts to prevent privacy breaches.

Officials are asking anyone who believes their information may have been involved in the recent breach to go to privacy.ufl.edu or call UF's Privacy Office Hotline at 1-877-657-9133.