A UF professor was arrested and charged with sexual assault, stalking, unarmed burglary and burglary with assault or battery Sunday night after allegedly attacking his ex-girlfriend.

Herbert J. Houck, a 53-year-old UF biological scientist and professor in the department of pathology, was released from the Alachua County Jail Monday, said Alachua County Sheriff spokesman Art Forgey.

Sunday afternoon, the woman he allegedly assaulted was getting out of the shower when she saw Houck in her bathroom, Forgey said. She called the sheriff's office after the assault, he said.

The woman, who is also Houck's neighbor, gave Houck her house key so he could feed her cat while she was on vacation. She believed he had returned the key when she got back, not realizing he had made a copy, Forgey said.

The woman posted a sign on her door asking him to "go away," after Houck made several phone calls to her, Forgey added.

Houck also secretly made visits to her house, which included him lying in her bed and leaving his shoe behind. He said he would trade the house key for his shoe, Forgey said.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said Houck, who was hired in December 1992, has been placed on administrative leave per UF protocol.