The U.S. Supreme Court is debating the constitutionality of a cross erected in the Mojave National Preserve as a memorial honoring fallen soldiers.

Those who object to the presence of the cross, which is on government-owned land, say that it violates the first line of the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

The cross was built by a local Veterans of Foreign Wars chapter in 1934.

The fact that the cross is the predominant symbol of Christianity should not mean that it can't be used as a memorial. It does not represent the government's endorsement of one religion over others. It's meant to serve as a symbol for those who died in foreign wars.

However, people of different faiths should be allowed to construct their own memorials as well. According to a CNN article, officials denied a Buddhist group's request to build a "stupa," or shrine. If officials allow one religious symbol to stand in the sand, then other groups should have the same privilege.

Thousands of crosses stand in Arlington National Cemetery in honor of soldiers of the Christian faith. Stars of David honor Jewish veterans. This case should be no different.

If people want to use religious symbols to honor the dead, then more power to them.

The purpose of the establishment clause is to prevent the government from being partial to any particular religion. It doesn't mean that the government should hide religion from the public eye.